Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cooking with Whole Wheat

Loving making my own bread! I haven't bought bread at the store for a couple weeks now and don't anticipate needing to do so anytime soon. I bought an attachment for my kitchen aid mixer to grind grain for the bread. I have also been supplementing with store bought whole wheat flour to ease the transition. I stumbled across an awesome whole wheat cookie recipe yesterday. I am on my second batch, so I think that means the kids like them too!!


Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl mix butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Add baking soda, salt, oats and flour. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon onto a cookie sheet or stone and bake for about 10 minutes. Take out of the oven just before they look done and let them sit on the cookie sheet for another 2 minutes.
These turned out pretty good. The next time I make them I think I will try substituting the brown sugar with natural sugar and see how they turn out. With 3 cups of oats and 2 cups of whole wheat flour these cookies are filling and full of fiber.

http://thehappyhousewife.com/cooking/chocolate-chip-whole-wheat-oatmeal-cookies/

I will post some pictures of our newly refinished floors soon (still working on getting the mess contained from having all three bedrooms dumped out into the living room).

5 comments:

  1. Oh yum. I'll have to try these. I've used whole wheat in pumpkin cookie recipes before, too. Those are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a recipe for the pumpkin cookies? They sound great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've packed most of my cookbooks, but I think this is the recipe I've used, with a substitution of whole-wheat flour for the all-purpose.

    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-cookies-i/detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I think my Mom would really enjoy those. Being the only non chocolate person in the family, she doesn't always have a lot of choices. ;-)
    How much longer until you move? I saw your mom a couple weeks ago (it was so neat to see them again, it's been so long! I remember your mom as one of the best teachers I had - one of the reasons I became a teacher.). She said that you found a place that will really work out. It was so nice for Dan that we stayed off campus, he enjoyed having that separation between school and home. I'm glad you found something similar for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are in transition now. I was busy packing, so I forgot the internet existed for a couple of weeks... Anyway, we've got everything in storage for a couple of weeks, and we'll head back on Monday. Hopefully we'll get some more hands to help us unload. I'm not looking forward to that!

    We did find a great place, which is a huge blessing! For awhile we were getting worried that we wouldn't find anything, but everything has worked out well! I'm getting excited to see where we'll be moving next summer!

    ReplyDelete