Friday, December 24, 2010

Butter

I was reading online about how to make butter. I thought, that looks easy enough! Butter is so expensive, I will give it a try...



I took two cups of heavy whipping cream and it put it in my food processor along with about a teaspoon of kosher salt. Why kosher salt? Why not?! I ran the food processor for about three minutes. That's what the recipie called for, really I just ran it until it looked like this.




After the butter had separated, I used a very thin and worn out towel to separate the butter from the buttermilk.



I just dumped the contents of the food processor into the towel which I had already laid out over a bowl.



I squeezed the liquid off (buttermilk) and put it aside to make buttermilk brownies. Then I measured out the butter into cups. Two cups of heavy whipping cream seems to make about 1 and 1/4 cups of butter.



The butter is a bit more waxy than I am used to, but I think it will be especially good for baking.

Side note: While I was in the kitchen, it began snowing heavily. What a view!!



No comments:

Post a Comment