Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Laura

Am I The only one out there that would love to live in the world of Little House on the Prairie? I mean sure the mortality rate was a bit high, but peoples moral compasses were aligned. Want to stay at home with your children? Why wouldn't you want to stay at home with your children? You are their mother, if you don't raise them who will? When did a job start to become a more important legacy to leave than the legacy that we can leave through our children? Why is it the accepted norm that you will spend much time, money, and energy to have children and then make the conscious decision to pay someone else to be with them more that you are with them? How is it that a woman who chooses family over career has no meaning in her life?

As a teacher, it is easy to lose focus and forget that the most important thing we pass on to the next generation is not in a reader or a math book. The most important thing we give to the next generation is found in the Bible. This is not just a direct instruction course, the lessons vital to their earthly AND eternal well being are also to be taught day by day in the way that we live our lives and in the small moral decisions that we make continuously.

And you know what? I think it's okay to do a direct, intense small group session consisting of only my children. So what if I don't have a spectacularly fabulous career? I will have something better, I will have children who know and love Jesus. I will not only get to spend more time with them in this life, I will also get to spend time with them in eternity. And I can't wait to introduce them to my Grandparents, two of the many hard-working, "simple" people who sacrificed some of their own ambitions to give that kind of upbringing to me.

3 comments:

  1. I am right there with you. I have long believed I was born in the wrong century. I think I would have fared well even in the Middle Ages. Again, the mortality rates were even higher, but still. Peasantry would have worked well with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully agree. And with what Leah said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus I think their dresses are awesome!! :-)

    ReplyDelete