Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Raven

Once upon a midnight dreary,
While I pondered weak and weary
Over many a large and un-enveloped
Pile of presents from the store.
While I nodded, nearly napping
Suddenly there came a snapping
As of someone gently stepping
On bubble wrap upon the floor.
" 'Tis some visitor" I muttered
"Come to help me with my chore."
Merely this and nothing more.

Oh how vaguely I remember
Waking in the cold December
To hear each whining, crying member
Of my children at my door
Eagerly I wished the morrow-
Vainly I had sought to borrow
From the night lessened harrow
Harrow, headaches, even more
From the loudly weeping children
Who were screeching at my door
Standing there forevermore.

And the soft and sad uncertain
Rustling of the bathroom curtain
Stilled me filled me with
A deep foreboding felt before
So that now to still the beating
Of my heart I stood repeating
"Why now visitor entreating
Entrance at my chamber door?"
Too late now to be now entreating
Entrance at my chamber door."
Darkness there and nothing more.

Presently my soul grew stronger;
hesitating then no longer,
"Kate," said I "or Andrew
truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was sleeping
and so gently you came creeping,
And such a late hour you were keeping
tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you"-
here I opened wide the door; -
Darkness there, and nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment